“V DAY – YOU EITHER LOVE IT, LOATHE IT OR DETEST IT SINCE BARRY IN YEAR 7 DUMPED YOU FOR HOLDING HANDS TOO QUICKLY INTO YOUR 2 WEEK RELATIONSHIP”
Ahh the big V day; either hotly anticipated, seasonally dreaded or hated for life since Barry in year 7 dumped you because you held hands too quickly into the relationship. Whether you love it or loathe it, I think it’s a wonderful time to remind yourself why it’s important to love and look after yourself. It’s also an amazing excuse to spend time with your favourite people, whether that’s your sister, parent, best friends or significant other (Or my personal favourite; setting up an elaborate, self care and pamper session for yourself!)
Try not to fixate on you having to have a partner to spend it with; but rather, celebrate love however you fancy! Whether you’re into the cheesy, classic, different or alternative things to do, here’s a list of my personal favourites and ones I’ll for sure be adding to my valentines day bucket list!
LITTLE, AFFORDABLE, GESTURES
1. Run yourself or a loved one a bath, complete with candles, fairy lights, petals, lots of bubbles, their favourite bath products and some snacks and their favourite drink to enjoy whilst having a dip!
2. Have your favourite breakfast in bed, complete with tea, coffee, juice and tucking into a book or your favourite Netflix series.
3. Have a massage evening, lay out a blanket and pillow on the floor/bed. Put relaxing music on, ambient lights and candles. Get some massage oil or moisturisers (I prefer something with essential oils in, so it smells like you’re in a spa!) You could also do this with your favourite face products and do facials with your bestie, sister or to yourself.
4. Do your favourite things to give your skin and body some love – bath, scrubs, moisturising, fake tanning, pedicures, manicures and face masks; what ever makes you feel sparkly and brand new.
5. Leave your partner or friends little notes, listing all the big and little reasons why you love them so much! Why they make you laugh, happy and feel good. You could also do this but attach the notes to individual roses/flowers, getting them to find them all, to form a nice bouquet.
6. Have a movie and board games night; stick on your favourite films, grab your favourite nibbles and crack out Monopoly, twister and black jack.
7. Cook your favourite meal – for yourself, partner or friends. Complete with your favourite bottle of wine, cocktails or drink you love. Have fun cooking it; get messy, laugh, make mistakes and enjoy your delicious creation!
SOMETHING A BIT DIFFERENT
8. Go on an experience you’ve never tried – Segwaying, wine or whisky tasting. A cookery class, pottery making or a guided tour of a local area. Something you’ve always wanted to do, but never got round to it!
9. Go to a dance class (even if it’s out of your comfort zone! Salsa, contemporary, burlesque or ballroom!) Or if you don’t fancy yourself a Strictly contestant, head to an ice rink or a roller disco!
10. Refresh your mind with something different and go on a walk to a nearby beauty spot or somewhere you’ve never been! Go to a lake and feed swans, walk around a museum or go to see a piece of local theatre!
11. Hire a bike (or a tandem if you’re brave enough!) and go for a bike ride around a city or town you love or have always wanted to go to! Pit stop for a beer and bowl of chips, absolutely necessary.
12. Try out an escape room! They’re popping up all over the country and are great to either 2 people or groups! A sure fire way to have a lot of fun!
SOMETHING TO SAVE UP FOR
13. Go on a hot air ballon ride (I’m scared of heights but did this for my 18th and it was breathtaking!) Virgin experiences have loads of good choices on their website and this is who I went with!
14. Book a mini trip away – somewhere you’ve both wanted to go (or a trip you’ve always been wanting to do with your friends!) Paris, Rome, Krakow – I took my partner to Barcelona on a budget (You can read my tips here!)
15. Snag a good deal on an overnight stay at a spa hotel – enjoy a treatment, amazing dinner and completely unwind by yourself, a sibling, friend or partner!
SHOP MY VALENTINES PICKS
What are you guys up to for V day? Do you celebrate it? Use it as an excuse for an extra, indulgent pamper session? I’d love to know! Regardless, I think it’s a great time to make an excuse to spent time with your family, friends and loved ones!
I also have so much style and travel goodness over on my Youtube Channel so make sure you’re subscribed!
Photography by Ben Kapur